Sunday, October 28, 2012

Storm......breaker

Stormbreaker: The Graphic Novel by Anthony Horowitz
I feel that the Stormbreaker graphic novel is an excellent way to spatially influence young people to read complex plot structures. Alex Rider’s role as a “superspy” is one example of complex storyline that reveals illustrated action, scene segments, and multiple plot development in a compartmentalized manner. I also enjoyed the mange art, which captures much of the action that as young adult reader might miss if they read Horowitz's text-only original novel version. I feel that this book could definitely be used in class, but only within certain parameters of reading instruction. I disliked the character of Alex Rider because he presents unrealistic expectations of young adults in reality. This was a “turn off” to me because Alex is really behaving like an adult through the lens of a young adult perception of the world. To be able to accomplish heroic feats of physical strength and to also have an extremely high IQ at this age level is unrealistic (Horowitz, 2006, p.15). In some ways, I think it will make the students become awe inspired at Rider’s abilities or it will discourage them to learn in the classroom. However, I felt that Horowitz can challenge students to grasp multiple plots in the spy novel format.  Overall, I felt that that this book would be excellent for bridging spatial and text-based reading skills in the classroom, but not as a strong example of realistic characterization for teaching young adults literature.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment